gra-tu-i-tous |grəˈt(y)oōitəs|
{ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from Latin gratuitus ‘given freely,spontaneous’}
adjective:
1. uncalled for; lacking good reason; unwarranted : gratuitous violence.2. given or done free of charge : gratuitous advice.
vi-o-let |ˈvī(ə)lət|{ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French violette} adjective:
1. a bluish-purple color seen at the end of the spectrum opposite red.
noun:
2. a herbaceous plant of temperate regions, typically having purple, blue,or white five-petaled flowers, one of which forms a landing pad for pollinating insects. Genus Viola, family Violaceae.
3. ME.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Art By Any Other Name


Today, As I was walking out of the building @ work, I stopped in as the staff was hanging a new art show in the gallery space. The theme is “Cultural Passages” and this annual show's artists are all young adults who are disabled in one way or another. Some are physically challenged, some are mentally or psychologically ill, yet all are amazing emerging artists and the viewer would have no clue whatsoever that the group of men and women are any different than the next person- if it was not publicized. 
{Are they different?}

Apples or Oranges?

My boss and I were chatting as I went through the space admiring the work. She was explaining to me about the specific displaying requirements of this national show. The pieces were hung lower than usual to accommodate wheelchair viewers. The bios [which were warmly written and unpretentious, thank Godzilla] were printed up in a larger-than-usual font size, to accommodate the visually impaired, and a braille guide book is also available to anyone who may need it.

I Love You

There were paintings, mono-prints, photographs, video installations and illustrations. Some pieces were soothing to look at, others incited uncomfortable emotions and a few simply drew me in with pensive charm. All were worthy of being sincerely deemed ART, which is not a label I toss about lightly. Oh sure, I encourage everyone to be creative and try making some art during their adult lives, but not all creative people are artists. Sorry if I sound judge-y, but I include 75% of the famous “artists” out there in this crapegory. There is a boatload of g'ARTbage out there, unfortunately much gets the press and loot to boot. Many “artists” are merely technically talented with the media they use, yet the message is void or falls flat- but the public knows not the difference so these turds make bank. Although becoming wealthy via art is a dream many of us creative/arty types fantasize about, those of us who live in the throes of our creative passions are happy to sell pieces when ever we do, at prices we find appropriate. Creating for the sheer necessity in and of itself and experiencing joy in doing so is what being an artist is. Other than that, one is either a handy craftsman- or is contemptibly obnoxious. I know both aforementioned types and steer clear.

Oink

I personally make a variety of art. Some is utilitarian, some is not. Some of the creative endeavors I indulge in fall under the taboo craft category [I am not ashamed, nor will I insist you call it fine art] and others are just fun nonsense, often with googly eyes and/or glitter. I know the difference and price accordingly, or I happily gift much of it away.

Thanks, but what is it?

As I was looking at the work which was displayed today, I noticed myself bubbling up with some intense feelings. Not because I was all sappy and emo about the show's diverse content or it's underlying current, but because I too want to effect people with my art (more than I currently am,) be it in the utilitarian or fine art format. I want people to feel the feelings I am experiencing along with me, first-hand, through my art. I want to provoke more thought in people as well. Sure, sometimes beautiful objects are simply inspiring in and of themselves in their own right as well, but I want more. I need more. And I want to share that rich marrow of life with others. I feel as if it is my responsibility as an artist as well, to contribute to the building up of the current culture we live in. It cannot be left to the pop fad creators any longer, with such sub-par drivel being mass produced for the sheeple. That's irresponsible and plays to the lowest common denominator. Times are evolving and so should the mirroring of it evolve. I am more than happy to do my meagre part.

Getting you from A to B now even faster!

I want to share with whoever appreciates or seeks out art- my own soul-full reverie and expansion, joy and bliss, humor and sass... and of course- Love. I want people to look at it, to hold it and to feel it deeply and congruently enough that they are naturally inspired to pass those expressions on to others as well. A passive yet direct engaging with kindred souls. Yum.

There's no place like OM...

Off and on, in my creative past, I have made waves of expressive art which did inspire esoteric thought or profound emotion etc, in small bits. Years have come and gone since I regularly created with that type of potency, and mostly- not since I worked primarily as a photographer. Art modalities and materials have shifted and morphed, as have I. Time to bring my cyclic life full circle and return to the passion beneath the passion. Flow forth from the deep well of intention. 
And create like my life depends on it... because it does.

Making art is the bees knees!



6 comments:

  1. Wow. You perfectly summed up my feelings towards art. Great bit of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully expressed in words V. Great Blob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you.
    Some of what passes for art these days is utter crap, you should see some of the stuff they exhibit at the Tate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should post up some of your art for us to admire :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree whole heartedly.

    Too many can just scribble on a paper and call it art...kinda makes me sick.

    Until I worked at the high school, I didn't realize all the beautiful art that the kids could make...it's unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i do believe that YOU NEED TO POST SOMETHING!!

    i'm going through withdrawls! this is almost as bad as my stint in rehab for black tar heroine and tgi friday's spinach and artichoke cheese dip. i know how much you love tgi friday's spinach and artichoke cheese dip...

    ReplyDelete

Say something back... don't be shy